Local stories
Grounded in truth.

Your support can help us nurture and protect fact-based, rigorously researched, public-service journalism. Your contribution (regardless of the amount) helps keep local grassroots journalism alive.

🍃 Give today
© 2025 St. Louis Public Radio
St. Louis Public Radio is a listener-supported service of the University of Missouri–St. Louis.
St. Louis Public Radio
All Things Considered
St. Louis Public Radio
All Things Considered
Next Up: 6:00 PM Marketplace
0:00
0:00
All Things Considered
St. Louis Public Radio
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Morning headlines: Thursday, August 18, 2011

A fire hose.
(via Flickr/flattop341)
A fire hose.

St. Charles house fire claims fourth victim

A tragic house fire in St. Charles has claimed the life of a 4th victim. 8-year-old Quentin Gresham died early this morning, following the deaths of his father, mother and younger sister earlier this week.

As the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports, the lone survivor of the deadly blaze is 11-year-old Robert Zwilling, who escaped by jumping out a second-floor window.

Zwilling has been receiving care at St. John's Mercy Medical Center in Creve Coeur where he is listed in fair condition.

Save the Saucer

The owner of the former Del Taco building near Saint Louis University says the building's unique saucer shape may live on.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Rick Yackey said Wednesday that he hopes to attract new tenants while maintaining what he calls the "integrity" of the building's design.

The structure began as a filling station in 1967.  It was occupied by Del Taco until June, when the company filed for bankruptcy and vacated.

Reports of possible demolition led to efforts to save the building. Some began wearing "Save the Saucer" T-shirts.  But Yackey says demolition was always a last resort.

Mizzou's Haith under investigation

The University of Missouri's new basketball coach Frank Haith is being questioned in an NCAA  investigation.

Haith has issued a statement, saying he is cooperating with an NCAA investigation. But he also says the statements made about him in a Yahoo Sports investigative report are not an accurate portrayal of his character.

A former University of Miami booster now serving 20 years in prison for his role in a $930 million ponzi scheme is talking.

In the Yahoo! sports story, Nevin Shapiro alleges he gave thousands of dollars to University of Miami athletes in violation of NCAA rules.  And he's naming names,  implicating 72 athletes and 10 coaches. Haith says the NCAA told him not to comment on the matter further at this time.

Send questions and comments about this story to feedback@stlpublicradio.org.

Support Local Journalism

St. Louis Public Radio is a non-profit, member-supported, public media organization. Help ensure this news service remains strong and accessible to all with your contribution today.